Thursday, May 11, 2017

Who's Really the Selfish One?

Who’s Really the Selfish One?

By Wes Piatt at Coast Range Crossfit

For the past seven years I’ve made my life coaching and helping others find health and wellness in one way or another.  As with any profession, over time you will come across the same problems.
About four years ago, I was coaching at my old gym, CrossFit Inferno, in my hometown of San Luis Obispo, California. One of our members pulled me aside after class and asked if I could help her with something. She was having trouble finding the time to make it to the gym enough to feel like the membership was worth it.
We spent the next hour writing down her daily schedule from the moment she woke up until the moment she fell asleep. The disheartening thing was there really wasn’t much space in her schedule to make it to the gym more than twice a week. We all know that while twice a week is better than zero, it’s not going to get anybody the results they want or need.
After another hour of rescheduling, we came up with a plan that would allow her to get into the gym three days a week. Still not ideal, and she would really have to hustle to make it work, but better than what she was doing now. I hugged her, told her I would be checking in to make sure she was holding up her end of the bargain and to let me know if she needed any other help.
That member made it two weeks coming three times a week, then eventually went right back to her two, one, or not at all some weeks. When I saw her a few months later I asked her how the schedule was working out for her (knowing already she hadn’t been coming like we talked about). With her head down, she said something that stuck with me and really shifted the way I think. She said, “I just can’t be selfish and put the gym before my family.”  Continue Here